The List

I always have a list of things I desire to do.  It can get pretty long and often I think I get nothing done from it because I'm so overwhelmed with the number of things listed that I don't know where to start.  I'm sure that part of the challenge too is that my list isn't one that is written out, rather one that is in my head, so half the time I'm not even sure if I can remember what is on it!  I just know that there are often times when I think, "Oh, I've wanted to do that for so long!" 

Sometimes I also think that I get a little overwhlemed with trying to set my goals too high...like "I'm going to get up every morning at 5 am to ________."  Somehow, I don't get the word "try" in there and then when it doesn't happen EVERYDAY, I've failed, so that venture is just over.  I'm not very good about doing things in moderation!

This summer, my plan is to whittle my list down a little.  To start, I'm going to try to form a habit of sitting down with the kids to read a daily devotion and work on helping them learn 1-2 scripture verses each week.  We started yesterday with the verse "Keep your eyes focused on what is right.  Keep looking straight ahead to what is good."  Proverbs 4:25  We're using the book called The One Year Devotions for Preschoolers by Crystal Bowman.  Each day has a different verse which we'll read, but we'll focus on learning/memorizing only a couple each week.  I've also acquired another devotional book geared toward the bigger kids that has discussion questions.  We will use this one too, but I will ease into it once we get some sort of routine established with the preschool one.  Besides, I frequently think that lessons that are geared toward young children often hit us adults in a way that more mature and complex ones don't.  I think it is good to be reminded how simple it can be to follow God's word, so we'll just stick with the little one. 

Hopefully this will spill over and help me in my daily prayer too.  I've found that is something on my list too.  I tend to forget that I don't have to necessarily sit down for 20 minutes at a time to pray, rather I can pray small prayers throughout my daily tasks, offering prayers for different people during things that I do in the day. 

Finally, for today...I grew up writing letters to family, pen pals, friends.  My mom taught us to write and mail thank-yous whenever we received something from someone.  I don't do a very good job of that anymore.  I don't do a good job teaching my children to do that either.  Over the course of this summer, I am going to try to use my box of pretty note cards that have been waiting for ages to be opened and mail one note to someone each day.  Notice I said "try".  I'm off to a good start so far...two for two!  I need to make sure I get more stamps from the post office, as this I know will hold me up.  I will use this as an exercise to reduce my procrastination habits.  (See...soooo many things on my list!)  I hope to sit down on many days and do this with my kids while they're drawing pictures or writing letters that can be mailed too.  Oh, so many things on my list...I think I'll add, "make a physical list of things desired" to my list so I can physically see what I have accomplished!  :)