Saints in the Summertime--St. John the Apostle

Jonathan chose to teach everyone about St. John the Apostle...I think because he likes the name.  :)  Initially when he started investigating a little more to gather his teaching material, he was having a hard time planning a snack.  St. John is the patron saint of printers, book-binders, theologians and writers, so he toyed with a fig newton book and a pretzel rod quill pen but he couldn't get past the idea of eating a fig newton.  I guess he doesn't like them?  Then it dawned on me that I read two blogs that would be the perfect resources, and voila...Jon was full speed ahead again.  I think he did a good job.  He did most of it by himself...I got the task of making a cashew stick into a marshmallow. 

St. John the Apostle was a fisherman and the brother of James.  He was a disciple of John the Baptist.  He is often called the "son of Thunder".  He left everything behind to follow Jesus.  St. John was described as "the disciple whom Jesus loved.  He sat next to Jesus at the last supper and was asked by Jesus at His crucifixion to take care of His mother Mary. 

John was one that ran to the empty tomb after Mary Magdelene told them that Christ had risen.  He accompanied St. Peter to preach.  He wrote the inspired Word of God in the Gospel John.  He was the only one of the Spostles who wasn't martyred, although many tried to kill him.  He was once served poisoned wine, but survived because he blessed it before drinking it.  The poison came out of the wine in the form of a serpent. 

The symbol of St. John is an eagle, thought to be because John's words soared higher than those of any other. 

Jonathan's snacks were eagle marshmallows and his craft was handprint eagles.


Ahh...this is soooo good for me to step back and let things happen.  I assisted and allowed pictures to be made indpendently. Much more fun for them that way, although I would have preferred a slower start so that less paint would' ve been used.  :) 




Joe's eagle.

 Amelia graciously let me help her press her hands down on the paper, but she wanted to be independent too.





Washable paint...has to be!

"Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, guard the bed that I lie on:  Four corners to my bed, Four angels round my head, One to watch and one to pray and two to bear my soul away."

Great job Jonathan!

St. John, pray for us.