Millie's August Pie


I found a recipe a while back for "Millie's August Pie".  I thought it sounded like something I should make, just because it said it was Millie's.  I have a friend who makes a pie on Sunday as a special treat and then they eat the leftovers on Monday for breakfast.  She gets up early to her dark and quiet house before anyone else is up and enjoys making her pie with a cup of fresh coffee.  I think that sounds absolutely wonderful, and I'd like to do that sometime.  I thought today would be the perfect day for Millie's August pie since it was August 1st, but today, the pie didn't even get started until 5 pm, because I didn't get out of bed until I was awakened by a little person, and that was early enough!

The pie was simple...as was the crust, now that I know how to make pie crust!  (Thanks again to my pie-loving friend!)  :)  It is a custard-fruit pie that can actually use any kind of summer berry.  It wasn't the prettiest pie.  In fact, there were quite a few comments about how very ugly it was.  That didn't deter us from at least trying it.  It tasted wonderful.  In fact, it is one of those pies that will be absolutely delicious tomorrow after it has had a chance to cool and let the flavors continue to meld.  It is definitely a keeper recipe.  Maybe it will get prettier the more I make it.  We won't be having it for breakfast though, because in our house that would mean there would have to be enough left over, and that probably won't ever happen!

Millie's August Pie

In an unbaked pie crust, place 2 cut up peaches and 2 cups of raspberries.  Mix together 1 egg, 1 cup half and half, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 tsp each of salt and cinnamon.  Pour over the fruit.  Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.  Let cool several hours before eating.