"A" Week

I have this friend who inspires me often.  She is a wonderful mother, wife and friend and a beautiful Catholic woman.  I frequently ponder stealing sharing her ideas with my own family.  When school started she implemented after-school snacks with an alphabet theme...one letter a week.  GENIUS!  I admired from afar her creative motives, and held out for a week before I decided we needed to do the same here.  What a perfect opportunity to make learning letters fun for Joe.  I ran it by the kids to make sure it wasn't going to be too juvenille for them.  They were ecstatic about the prospect of having an organized snack each day and immediately began naming off the possiblities to start "A" week.

I sat down and began making a list of all kinds of fun things, and I admit, I was pretty excited myself.  I found a slew of preschool stuff online for Joe to do for "A" week.  What fun!  It was too.  We didn't start on Monday as one would presume, rather on Tuesday since Monday was a holiday.

Apple cheddar quesadillas

Angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream.


Ants on a log and Animal cookies



Artichoke spinach dip and chips

The week was fun and the kids were giddy anticipating what the days snack would be.  The challenge is the fact that we aren't home after school except on Wednesdays and Fridays, so I have to be creative and come up with a mobile snack--see the Suburban seat under the plate of cookies and celery?


Joe and Mille learning the letter "A".


This next week is "B" week!  Thanks Kristi for such an Awesome idea!!

Comments

Jenn said…
I pondered or "stole" this idea, too! We are having "Aa" week this week as well. So fun!
Julia Corn said…
AHhhh! that is so cute, so creative! :) So i read your blog every night before i go to sleep, and i always end up dreaming about seeing you all again. then i wake up to my actual alarm. no personal little wake up alarms from the kiddos, mattie throwing millie on my bed and running away. hahah. i miss it so much! I am going to try to visit over winter break, if its okay with you! i have all these winter clothes now and thought i should at least put them to use for a week or two :) Love you guys, and miss you all soooo much!
Sandi said…
You continue to be a wonderful Mom. What a blessing to be able to be a stay-at-home Mom with your kids, even though stay-at-home means you are still gone half the time running!!! At least you can. Blessings.
michellespicka said…
This is a fun idea...maybe I will start next week...I might have some difficulty with "Q" and "Z"...maybe post what you did for those letters (when the time comes) and I will be inspired for myself...Ok, I will "steal" the idea!!
Aubrey said…
It is a great idea. I know this isn't the point, but I might have to sneak over to your house after school one day for one of those amazing snacks!!

To make our summer lunches more fun, I went through Hy-Vee with the children. They each picked a color and we picked out many things of that color to use for lunches. One day we had a red lunch, one day yellow, one day purple, and so forth. It was fun!
Kristi said…
so glad your kids are enjoying it!! You have great "A" ideas...can't wait to see what you keep coming up with!

Popular Posts