Ben

Middle child.  I'm not sure that I could have imagined how it would feel 18 years ago to be celebrating the high school graduation of our 5th child.  We are officially past the half way point.  This kid is the one who from the first year has been described as energetic and full of vinegar.  Those were the nicest ways I could express my sheer exhaustion from keeping up with him.  Perhaps he really wasn't much different than the other four ahead of him and I was more tired.  

Ben has filled our souls with joy for sure.  He reveled in the limelight of his big brother's activities and accomplishments counting the days until he too would get to be a big kid and do those things.  We moved to Eagle when he was born and I had not sent Mattie to preschool at St. T's in an effort to minimize some busyness in my own schedule, but Ben was chomping at the bit to be there with his other four siblings, so when he was 4, he went to pre-K.  We weren't sure how he was going to fare--or maybe it was his teacher that we were more concerned about since Ben was inquisitive, ready for things beyond his peers, energetic, stubborn, independent and had a knack for questioning order.  When I sat in those little tiny Pre-K chairs for his parent-teacher conference--the last one of the five for the night, I remember how my heart sank to my stomach when his teacher very slowly began to describe him..."Ben...is...".  The pauses in between seemed so long!  I was ready to hear all the things I already knew and had an apology ready to go.  "Ben...is...such a delight to have in class.  He is such a good listener and follows instructions.  He is just a joy."  
I was in disbelief!  Surely she knew who I was and didn't have my kid confused with someone else?  It's true.  Ben is a delight.  Everyone says so.  Despite the buttons he likes to push at home, he is polite, respectful, thoughtful, insightful.  He works hard even when it is hard to do so.  It is a sport to him I think to do things to people to gain specific reactions.  Our favorite thing to tease him about is "I don't do that anymore (since 5 minutes ago)" when accused of a bad habit or poor choice.  


These boys have been steady in Ben's life for all of high school and most of jr. high.  I love their bond.  I love their accountability to and for each other.  They've definitely grown into amazing young men.  This is their discipleship group with their mentor/teacher.  



















Graduation celebration.

St. Teresa/Pius sibling graduates.


























We're so proud of you Benjamin and so excited to see the places you'll go!  You are our favorite Benjamin in the whole world!